Reliance is going to shutdown 2G service in West Bengal, Bihar and Assam on Dec 12. Prepaid & Postpaid users across the circle will no longer have access Reliance 2G network. Porting Reliance number out to other network using MNP service seems only option available for existing customers for now.
Reliance failed to renew 2g spectrum (900Mhz) for three telecom circles including West Bengal, Bihar and Assam from the latest Spectrum- auction held in February 2015, which resulted a permanent 2g service disruption after December 12th 2015, the last date of Reliance existing 2G spectrum (900Mhz).
No official announcement about Reliance 2G service upgrade or porting comes online till now except official SMS notification – Few of Reliance 2G customers are getting SMS for porting Reliance number to other network before Dec 12 & some for 3G upgrade if they wish to continue same number.
Although Reliance reserved 3G spectrum for affected circles but continuing telecom service using 3G network would be difficult as availability of 3G network across the circles is hardly visible ! on mobile screen.
Fix Reliance 2G problem in WB, Bihar, Assam & other areas
Reliance is now serving 2G service via partner network: Vodafone or Aircel
You can simply manually search network in your mobile phone and select either Vodafone or Aircel to get Reliance 2G signal.
For Android mobiles: Go to ‘Settings' > then ‘Mobile Networks' > select Reliance Sim in case of dual sim mobile > Now tap on ‘Network operators' > Wait till it shows available network in your area > Now select Vodafone or Aircel from search result.
For general phones: Go to ‘Setting' > and find ‘Network' related settings > then find ‘Manual network selection' or similar settings and search for existing networks in your area. Once you it shows Vodafone or Aircel > select any of them to get Reliance 2G network.
Once you select network manually, Reliance network will be displayed & you can continue all Voice & SMS services except data.
Before Reliance shutdowns 2g service in WB, Bihar, Assam
Three options available for Reliance customers across three circles:
1. Porting Reliance number using MNP
2. Continue Reliance number on 3G network
3. Reliance intra-circle 2G Network sharing
1. If porting remain only option then
- Send a Port Out request by typing : ‘PORT your-No' to 1900. (Standard SMS charge apply).
- You will receive an SMS from 1901 with a Unique Port Code (UPC) which is valid for 15 days.
- Now go to nearest retailer and ask for porting to your favorite network
2. If Reliance 3G tower is strong in your area and you want to enjoy its 3g plans & services using 3G network then use any of following 3g plan to confirm switching to 3G network after Dec 12. Remember your Reliance number will remain useless where 3G is unavailable !
- Plan 11: Rs 11 Talktime + 10MB 3g data
- Plan 21: Rs 21 Talktime + 20MB 3g data
- Plan 31: Rs 31 Talktime + 30MB 3g data
- Rcom users except WB, Contact support before activating plans
3. Intra-Circle 2G network sharing agreement could be a great option but price of existing 2g or 3g plans may increase dramatically !
Under intra-circle 2g tower sharing option, Reliance users continue number & services through partner network before further announcement. No official announcement about Reliance partner network across West Bengal, Bihar and Assam comes online yet.
After Reliance stops 2g service in WB, Bihar and Assam
MNP is only option for Reliance users till now – If you failed to port Reliance number out in time, future of your Sim will be just like ‘Reliance 2G service in West Bengal, Bihar and Assam after Dec 12’.
Users must use 3G or 4G network to access internet. It's also confirmed Reliance users can access Jio 4G network without any issue ! Smooth network upgrade is ongoing and 3g/4G service will be online after Dec 12 in scheduled basis.
Update (Dec 11): Reliance chose Partner Network for 2G Service in WB, Bihar & Assam
It’s good news that Reliance is going to continue 3G service across three affected areas. This may result a surprising price drop in 3g plans and services across the circles. Rcom will fully concentrate on data services along with voice plans over 3G network. Traveling circles with 3g only sim could keep voice services stopped but superior & low-cost data services is confirmed !